Favorite gaming style?
Saturday, February 12, 2011
New innovations from the federal government
So I open up my business week magazine and I read a interesting article. Talking about how the government is basically trying to make password protection a bit easier and more secure. How do they plan to do this? Take away the need for passwords! So far the idea is that there is going to be some other way that is directly linked to yourself in order to access your accounts or even get into your cellphone! Some ideas that they have for doing this is one by fingerprint, or even possibly by smartchip. Seems to look good on paper but then comes the question of what if I want someone to have access. Lets say I need to get logged into my account but dont have any internet access so I call my trusted friend or family member to log into my account so I can get the info? Obviously they wouldn't have my fingerprint. So in my opinion its a great idea but is gonna be more of a pain than its worth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You bring up a great topic here Jose. If the government decides that finger prints and smartchips are the simplest way to protect our personal accounts than how will this be implemented and what will the effects of this be on the public? Some ideas that come to my mind are that this could create a new business for small finger scanners that people would be able to plug in to their computers by USB. Another possibility is that people would be able to use the finger scanners in combination with personal passwords. Internet websites would have to add more security options for their customers because as you mentioned earlier what if a person would like to give a family member or friend access to his or her accounts.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately protecting personal accounts by finger prints and passwords only does not stop people from being able to hack the websites main business system and stealing your information that way. Another effect that this could have on the public is how robbery crimes are committed. For example accessing bank counts would use finger prints from customers to access their counts from home. Would this mean that criminals might be more likely to cut hand or fingers off of their abductees along with bank counts, credit cards, and passwords? I know this is an extreme example but it is a possibility. Overall in my opinion I do not believe that just making accounts more difficult to access, will make my personal information safer until businesses find better ways to protect and secure their websites first.
I believe that this topic has pros and cons if you want to keep your information protected due to people’s preferences. I agree with you on the fact that there might come a day where you’re not going to have the opportunity to look up certain information and you would like to have a trusted friend or family member to be able to access your information for you, but with this new way of protecting your passwords this won’t be possible. In a way, I would love for the government to be able to increase password protections because it would be one issue that you won’t have to worry about but I also occasionally depend on close friends or relatives that I trust to look up information for me during desperate situations and I believe that if you’re the only one able to access your information by matching your fingerprint, they won’t be able to grant me that favor. Some will agree with this subject because of privacy issues but others might also disagree. I see where they are coming from because the identity theft rate is going up due to hackers getting their hands on your information through back loops over the internet. The thing is when someone wants something badly they are going to go through thick and thin to get what they want and this might just end up being a slight minor setback for them; it doesn’t guarantee that they won’t get their hands on the information. Especially with movies and television shows being made to give people new ideas on how to succeed in different situations just as this touchy subject, but that’s another story. This government decision might be a success and it would make a lot of people happy.
ReplyDelete